a coincidental catch and the kindness of the Astros

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

a coincidental catch and the kindness of the Astros

jlsalh21
"Every time I saw her, she was a breath of fresh air," Rizzo said. "The last time I saw her was at Wrigley [Field], and she wasn't looking too good, she was in a wheelchair. But I remember her smiling at me. Marwin Gonzalez Authentic Jersey Losing her is tough, because she was close to the foundation.

"Going through this now for five, six years and visiting kids, there's been a lot of positives that we do and help with the families. But when you lose kids who become close to the foundation and are basically a staple of the foundation, it's not easy," Rizzo said. "That's part of doing this. You have lives you're saving, and then you lose some. And when you lose some, Max Stassi Authentic Jersey it's not easy to deal with."

During the season, Rizzo makes monthly visits to Lurie Hospital. Part of Rizzo's donation in August included upgrading the waiting room there, which included one of his Cubs jerseys framed, which he had patients sign.

"Going to the Michael Feliz Authentic Jersey hospital really keeps you motivated," Rizzo said. "You see the looks on the kids' faces and the families. It's a couple seconds away from reality of what they're going through.

"I keep doing it because I remember when I was sick, and seeing my parents suffer way more than I did. I saw the looks on their faces. I just wanted to make sure they were OK. When I see the kids [at the hospitals], I tell them all the time to be strong for their families."The concept of honoring Major League players for their philanthropic work was created in 1971 as the Commissioner's Award. Mike Fiers Authentic Jersey But it was renamed the Roberto Clemente Award in '73 in honor of the Hall of Famer and 15-time All-Star who died in a plane crash on New Year's Eve in '72 while attempting to deliver supplies to earthquake victims in Nicaragua.

Vera Clemente, continuing to carry her husband's torch for decades, said in the ceremony that Rizzo "has served as an inspiration to those children who need him the most. God bless you for your work and continued success on and off the field. Congratulations and welcome to the family."With Evan Gattis starting at designated hitter in Game 3 against Dodgers right-hander Yu Darvish on Friday, Astros manager A.J. Hinch admitted Carlos Beltran likely won't start another game in the World Series.The Dodgers are set to throw lefties in Games 4 (Alex Wood) and 5 (Clayton Kershaw) on Saturday and Sunday, meaning Gattis would start, and there would be no designated hitter if the Series shifts back to Los Angeles for Games 6 and 7 on Tuesday and Wednesday.